Monday, January 4, 2010

My Name is Janell and I'm an Addict...

It's true. I'm addicted......to sugar.

If you know me at all it's pretty obvious that I enjoy sugar a lot. It's really annoying because I will be a committed exerciser, eating salads & low fat proteins, but when the clock strikes 7ish it happens. I scour the cupboards for anything sweet. If I can't find something pre-made, I eat a piece of toast with pb & honey.... or I make no bake cookies (if you don't know what these are, just think of yummy, sugary chocolate.) It gets worse, but I'm not going to go into detail.

I've been researching ways to kick my addiction and here's what I've learned;

1. I need to clean house of all sugar; not just treats but actual bags of sugar, jellies, honey, sugary cereal & fruit juices. Also avoid sugar substitutes b/c these will just encourage sugar cravings.

2. I need to treat it like a crack addiction, because it is basically the same type of addiction, just legal.

3. Buy 3 days worth of meals & stay in for those 3 days- avoid ALL temptation... this will be my detox clinic.

4. After my detox, don't eat anything sweet before 3 pm- having sugar early in the day will only cause a craving for sweets throughout the day.


This is just a snapshot of what I've learned on my quest to kick the habit.

I've had "sugar free weeks" but I need to go this whole month, I think. Dan tries to keep me in check, but I feel since I've blogged about this I'm accountable to everyone who reads this.

Now that I've admitted my problem I'm going to dive into these solutions head first. Hopefully I'll have some positive updates in the future. I think I'm going to start my 3 day hibernation Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes!

8 comments:

Maxwells said...

Good for you!
I don't really have a thing for sugary stuff, but I do for bread and pastas, I think I would take an extra roll over a dessert almost any day.
Good luck!

Bonnie said...

Wait, so does that mean that I'm not watching Bridgette this week.....?
I'm a fellow addict. It's tough.... eat some fruit to curb the craving though! It works for me!

Andrea said...

I'm addicted to chocolate!! I have to have chocolate at least once a day!!

Tell Dan you want a wii fit for your birthday! Maybe your christmas present will be a contribution toward it :)

I'd be ok with losing 5 of my 10 lbs of chubb, but I cant even do that (it's probably the chocolate ;))

YOu're welcome for the swing and boucer!!

Sarah said...

Good Luck to you! I'm addicted to sugar too. I can't make it past 3pm - I've tried! My sis-in-law will go on no sugar diets for like 4 months straight to get $500 from her dad. I would love to have the money, but I honestly just couldn't do it. Have Dan bribe you with money :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the sugar. My problem is Bread.

Aunt Monica

LW said...

Good luck Nell! That's awesome, especially while nursing, I was always craving chocolate when I was nursing Kaia!
You'll do well!!! I guess we shouldn't go to our 'special restaurant' for a while, cus we all know how yummy those cookies are ;-)

Nell said...

Yes, I think I should have Dan bribe me with money... I was watching a TV show and the women were all eating pie, which I don't really care for, but I was salivating sooo badly!

This is my second day. So far so good. I ate some bad chicken and was sick this morning, so that helped my cause.

Joan said...

so...nellie bellie.
how's that coming along? i just had a very large peanut butter brownie today. it was so yum! and i've got the thighs to prove it!
good for you nellie. seriously!